Monday, September 15, 2014

Three Strengths



This post is part of the 30-Day Blog Challenge from TeachThought. To learn more about the challenge go to www.teachthought.com/teaching/reflective-teaching-30-day-blogging-challenge-teachers/.

DAY 15: Name three strengths you have as an educator.

Like many teachers, I have a hard time being vocal about my strengths. It always feels a bit conceited to me. But I've already made it this far in the challenge, and can't turn back now. So, to get through this very uncomfortable (for me!) post as quickly as possible, I'll keep it short.

1) Resilience: I'm not afraid to try something new and fail. In fact, I thrive on it. This is one of the aspects of teaching that keeps me excited each year - the ability to constantly experiment with teaching methods in order to better reach the learners in my classroom.

2) Creative: I never have been an "arts and crafts" person, but I do love taking a concept and coming up with a creative, engaging way to help students understand and learn that concept. Just today, I decided that since my students always have a hard time remembering the equations for photosynthesis and respiration, we'd create a class chant and movements that would help them remember them the processes better.

3) Hopeful: Even on days when students are challenging, technology doesn't work, colleagues are negative, and the night is filled with school work, given enough time, I'll eventually stop dwelling on the bad and start figuring out a "fix." I'm a problem-solver, so if something isn't going well, I rarely just throw my hands up in the air. Instead, I pursue a way to improve the situation.

*Despite this being an awkward post to write, I was excited about finding this awesome photo. It's from Bhope34 on Flickr. Licensed by Creative Commons.


No comments:

Post a Comment